Following the consultation issued by the Intellectual Property Office and the enabling legislation, Patents and Patents (Fees) (Amendment) Rules 2017, passed in parliament on the 20 November 2017 amending the Patents Act 1977, the new fee structure for patent application and renewal in the UK comes into force on the 6 April 2018.
The new structure includes increases in application and retention fees and the main changes to the structure are detailed below whilst the full details of the changes may be found here.
Specific Fee Changes included in the Legislation
- Increase to the application fee, and introduction of a 25% surcharge if it is not paid at the time of filing.
- Increase to the fees for search and substantive examination.
- Increased discount for each of the above fees when they are filed electronically.
- Introduction of an excess claims fee.
- Introduction of an excess pages fee.
- A £10 increase to renewal fees for each of years 12 to 20.
- The current discount for e-filing of patent applications has been increased from £20 to £30.